Strider Event –
12″ Race Rules
Parents or guardians are responsible for complying with all rules.
Only Genuine 12 Strider® Balance Bikes are permitted to race in the 2, 3, & 4-year-old classes.
All riders must have their own Strider Bike. No sharing of bikes is allowed.
Parent or guardian must sign waiver and register rider before rider enters the track.
Parent or guardian must provide proof of age or be prepared to sign a legal affidavit certifying rider’s age.
All riders may be assisted in the starting area only. Only one parent or guardian is allowed in the starting area.
Parent or guardian must not make any contact with bike or rider at the start of the race (no pushing).
Parents or guardians are not allowed on the track during competition. Strider Official may allow an exception to this rule (after the gate drop) for a struggling child.
At a minimum, every rider will be allowed to run at least two races.
Strider will decide the race placement and starting position assignments for the first race by registration date and time, or by a random lottery.
Age group determination is based on rider’s age the day of the event. Age classes are 2 and under, 3-year-old, and 4-year-olds. In the case of a multi-day event, age groups will be based on the first day of the event.
One age group will go through their entire race program starting with a rider’s meeting and ending with an awards ceremony. This age group will then clear the track, and the next age group will go through their entire program, and so on.
The finish line is reached when the front tire of the bike is ridden across the finish line. Refer to the image below:
Parents or guardians are responsible to make sure that bike and rider meet the following safety rules:
- Bike must be properly maintained and in good working order.
- Bike must be properly fitted to the rider with final decision being made by the Strider Official.
- Seat and handlebars must not extend beyond their minimum insertion lines.
- All nuts and bolts must be tight.
- All grips need to be in good condition with no sharp edges protruding.
Modifications of the bike frame or its fork are not allowed:
- Stock wheelbase required.
- Use of stock wheel-mounting locations are required.
- All axles must use a cap nut or have threads covered.
- Axles must not extend more than 20 mm (.78 inches) from the fork.
Brake systems of any kind are not allowed and must be removed prior to any bike inspection and race.
Aftermarket components such as wheels, seats, and handlebars are acceptable (with the exception of brake systems) but are subject to safety inspection and approval by a Strider Official.
Handlebars must be within the following dimensions for the 12 Strider Bikes:
Height from ground to the center of the handlebar’s end:
A: Minimum 45 cm (17.71 in.)
B: Maximum 66 cm 25.98 in.)
Extension from headtube centerline to the center of the handlebar’s end:
C: 6 cm (2.36 in.) rearward
D: 12 cm (4.72 in.) forward
Overall width from handlebar end to handlebar end:
Minimum 34 cm (13.38 in.) – Maximum 46 cm (18.11 in.)
Any aftermarket wheels must be 12 inches.
Riders must wear a helmet at all times while riding. The helmet must display that it meets CPSC, DOT, SG, CE, EN, or similar safety standards.
Shoes must provide full toe coverage and be securely attached. No slip-on shoes or sandals are allowed. Only rubber soled shoes are allowed. No cleated or spiked shoes are allowed.
Parents or Guardians: Your child’s health, comfort, and safety are your responsibility:
- Please dress your child appropriately for the activity and weather conditions. We highly recommend long pants and long sleeves for skin protection.
- In order to prevent injuries from falling, we highly recommend your child wear elbow pads, knee pads, and gloves to protect joints and hands.
- Remember to keep your child nourished and hydrated throughout the event.
Any protest regarding race results must be done within thirty minutes of the finish of that related race. Official decisions will be made and conveyed within thirty minutes of the protest.